Have you ever heard of Oatmeal Caramelitas?
Well if not, they are what s’mores dream of becoming one day (yes, I think they are that good.)
These are probably my family’s favorite treat and until recently,
I didn’t realize so many other people knew about these slices of perfection.
You can probably just google Oatmeal Caramelitas and find lots of recipes,
but we have a particular way of making these in my house, so I thought I’d share.
+ 2 Cups Flour
+ 2 Cups Quick Oats
+ 1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
+ 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
+ 1/2 teaspoon Salt
+ 1 Cup Softened Butter
+ 1 Bag Chocolate Chips (I recommend Ghirardelli milk chocolate!)
+ 1 Bag Kraft Caramels
+ 1/4 – 1/2 Cup Evaporated Milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F
2. Grease a 9×13 baking pan (this is super important for them to be edible bars- I use shortening because sometimes Pam just doesn’t cut it)
3. Mix together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
4. Cut in the softened butter. The dough will be crumbly!
5. Evenly press half of the dough into the bottom of the 9×13 pan.
6. Bake that first layer in the oven for 10 minutes.
7. While the first cookie layer is baking- In a saucepan, melt the Caramels with the evaporated milk. Stir constantly to make sure it doesn’t burn.
8. As soon as the first cookie layer comes out of the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips all over, let them melt and then spread. (look to picture below if clarification is needed)
9. Drizzle melted caramel over the melted chocolate layer.
10. Crumble the remaining cookie dough evenly over the top and pat it down lightly.
11. Throw it back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes (the top will be golden and the caramel sometimes starts bubbling up the edges)
12. Let them cool for 30 minutes to an hour before cutting them into bars
13. Enjoy! Be careful, these vanish quickly.