I was convinced that I could paint them on my own (like I did our bathroom cabinets) but thank goodness for smart Husbands! Scott wanted them done professionally and I am 100% glad we did!
We went with Happy Valley Painting and he was INCREDIBLE!
So here’s a little bit about our experience!
- It’s important when hiring a professional that you do your research! I spent weeks searching out options and reading reviews of different painting and refinishing companies in my area.
- Get at least 3 bids for the work. (I would add that the best bids are in-person ones. I had a few over the phone via texting pictures)
- Ask them Exactly what they are going to do. How many days will the process take? What is their process? How many layers of paint? What kind of finish will the cabinets have?
- Do they have a no chipping guarantee?
- How long have they been refinishing cabinets?
I bought the molding at Home Depot already primed (buy MDF! Pine molding is too soft and will get dented easily). Scott measured and cut the pieces with his miter saw and I nailed them in with finish nails (if you have a nail gun this will literally take an hour to do everything!) We did the vertical pieces first and then added the horizontal pieces after.
Once that was done Bill from Happy Valley Painting came and took the cabinet doors and drawer fronts back to his shop.
He then taped everything else in the kitchen off.
Expect to not really be able to use your kitchen for about 2 days.
The next day he came and taped more. He covered the floor, the countertops, appliances and pretty much everything else.
And then he sprayed! He used 5 layers of paint and other finishes.
Warning it does smell very strong and probably isn’t super safe to inhale since he wore a mask. I just planned to be out of the house the whole day while he sprayed.
The next day after spraying he came back and put all of the cabinet fronts on! He even went above and beyond and put all of my new pulls and handles on the cabinets too! Seriously, guys, he went above and beyond to make sure everything was perfect and exactly how I wanted. It is so hard to find professionals like that nowadays!
The whole process only took 3 DAYS!!!!
The cabinets are SO resilient (unlike the ones in my bathroom that chip easily) and are SO smooth (unlike the ones in my bathroom that have more of a chalk finish). So when painting kitchen cabinets I would completely recommend hiring a professional. Kitchen cabinets are used so often and around so much water and grease it is worth it!